Sunday, May 4, 2014

Curbing Crazy! My quash of inner Bridezilla and the Invitation Nightmares!

You see shows on television like 'Four Weddings' or 'Bridezilla's'.   Wedding planning no doubt can be stressful.  Even though we eloped in Key West, does not mean I am not going a bit bonkers at times of worry of our reception in July.

For whatever reason you might be going crazy over planning your wedding, I'm sure like a snowflake no two situations are the same. 

My frustrations stem from the fact that my reception is in a town I don't live in and most of the vendors are not on the modern tech highway of communication.  I have lived in the Silicon Valley too long to have to chase you down via phone.  Thank goodness my venue contact is tech friendly and already networked in my town to refer me to reliable other vendors for transportation or a rental car.  Whatever it may be.  I am used to zipping off an email or text for a quick answer.  And I expect it rather quickly.

Also am at a point in life where I don't see a reason to have to invite that cousin whom I have tried to keep in contact with but has not bothered to reciprocate for over 20 years.  And guess can chalk that up to a lot of cousins as we just all kind of left a small town.  We are not one of those family's who all stayed and grew up in the same town/city or nearby.  Hell does that happen anymore with old school Americans?  My Mother passed in my early 20's and I can't off the quick of my mind think of one relative keep in touch with from her side anymore.  So if on a budget and that cousin of yours who has not bothered to reciprocate a Christmas card but now has three kids... maybe I sound 'cheap' but I am realistic.  Depending on your per person price for dinner, you can be anywhere from $100 to $200 feeding that cousin and his family who probably won't bother to keep in touch after another 20 years.  And if it is not just one cousin or many cousins times that number.  Like said if I am shitty or cheap for thinking this way, go to another blog.  I am not in my 20's and if my Daddy said 'no holds barr expense, you can have anything as I am paying for it all.  Then we can invite all the cousins whether not talked in over 20 years or never met. I would probably suggest extra security and a therapist also.  Hence in my situation, budget wise it's time to be realistic.  If you can't return an email or call in over 20 years, then most likely we will not be talking after my reception.  Makes no sense as am paying for my own wedding. 

If doing table assigned seating, always fun learning that your Uncle so and so no longer talks to your Uncle so and so over something five years ago.  Another challenge but with common sense place folks to kind likes, origins or who you know will not get into an argument with each other.   I also learned that two of my other half's best friends who are coming do not care for each other.  Yes I see the difference but just knowing a bit about them, know what new folks can seat them with for the evening of new meets, greets and I know a great time! 

And then there might be an issue with you, the bride and a few relatives.  Frankly my family and I are tight but my relationship with my father's wife and her daughter hit the skids a few years ago.  Right now they are threatening my father with a no show to our reception.  Which is perfectly fine by me.  But will be interesting to see how it all turns out.  Remember ladies, your special day is about you and your husband.  Not any sparring, selfish, ill wishing step relatives or non step relatives! 

No comments:

Post a Comment