Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Defining the 'Vegan' guest to your venues.


 
 
 

 
My husband's BFF wife is vegan.  And honestly if only can be a fly on the wall in their life for a week.  She is die hard 1001% Vegan and the husband is a big time meat, potatoes and everything with meat type of guy. 
 
Regardless she is the only 'Vegan' I have attending our venue.  Now the term 'Vegetarian' has hit my little old home town but 'Vegan' is quite foreign to them.  I am sure if my reception was at a five star hotel they could handle this a bit better.  Hence a all veggie kabob for dinner is about as Vegan as my venue can get for me. 
 
We are hosting a meet and greet dinner for the out of town guests the evening prior with a bit of a fiesta theme.  My cousin and her husband are doing this for me in their beautiful huge garden.  A margarita machine and fajita's.  I asked if she would do a meatless green chile and keep all the ingredients separate.  And I told her I was going to pick up a 'Soyrizo' for my Vegan guest.  Now of course the name and term of a meatless chorizo is also foreign to folks in little town Colorado. 
"Oh well then she can eat shrimp fajitas!" My cousin bellowed in all her naivetés.  Hahaha.
 
No no my dear folks.  Vegetarian no meat.  Pescatarian, way off. Raw Foodies and different league overkill.  Vegan., nothing made of any animal or living thing with eyes and a pulse.  No meat, no fish, shellfish, nothing made of eggs, butter, dairy.  Which also set off another reminder that the desserts and such are made in traditional ways. 
 
So I have one Vegan guest but will be stopping off at 'Whole Foods' on our way in from the Denver airport to also buy some vegan cookies and a vegan cupcake for dessert for her for our wedding reception.  I hope they notice that I am going above and beyond appeasing her diet wishes from creating a protein packed flavor punch you can't tell it's not chorizo fajita filling for her with fried potatoes and black beans.  I first learned of 'Soyrizo' when saw a before she was famous episode of Aarti Paarti. 
I went out and found the product at my local Safeway, Sprouts and Whole Foods here in Northern California.  But also think my knowledge of these various levels of being Veg and living in California has helped me figure out where to go for such product when I am not in Northern California.  I have my cousin separating the grilled veggies from the meats and a meatless chile.  We got cookies and a cupcake and think that is about as high as I can go on the 'vegan'mometer' of hospitality:)  Ole!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment