Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"All Those Little Things" she said!

Some women know exactly what they want for their wedding these days.  It's not like the days were you just had a wedding.  Now we have themes, different bars, candy bars, games.. whatever you want.  If you want to have your wedding at a ZOO or diving underwater, You can basically do anything you want these days.  Get hyped up on ideas or annoyed to flamboyance by catching 'Four Weddings' on television.  Which was my first mistake as I am not some 20 year old but it definitely is an interesting show of ideas.   

If you have the money to spend on whatever you want,  you go girl!! However for folks like me, my creativity and a good deal will have to do.  I of course first started looking at the ole 'Oriental Trading' Wedding catalogs.  They have a whole line of different themes of pre printed items from mints, favor boxes, cupcake boxes, napkins, cups, banners, balloons... everything under the sun.  Just go to orientaltrading.com and request a catalog to be sent to your home. 

Of course I initially book marked so much unnecessary stuff that had a potential $300.00 of items that I would still have to put together and or fill.  A child hood chum of mine told me that she has went to so many weddings that a lot of these little things folks do not even notice, take or they get tossed by the venue.  I'm not a fan of my money sitting in the trash but it also took a trek to my other half's best friends wedding in Orlando FL to make me realize what my friend was telling me was true. 

My other's half's best friends wedding was held at a lovely outdoor venue.  A botanical gardens location of sorts with a mini amphitheater for the ceremony.  And a lovely short walk towards the larger amphitheater to where the reception began.  Very cute and simple rustic.  They did not have a guest book but a 'guest slice of wood'.  Yes a big one from a tree you could write your best wishes on.  Your names were clothes pinned to a line as to which table you were to sit at.  You saw oversized games across the grass and a large candy bar as well different types of popcorn.  Note to self is you have to keep a candy bar out of the day sun if outdoors.  The candy did ok but the caramel popcorn started to turn into popcorn nuggets. 

They also had bottles of water with personalized labels which.  Yes not many went for the water as they did the open bar.  Extra money but surely fun having leftover bottled water with your names on it to take home. 

The centerpieces were mason jars with the gabby rustic band and knitted flowers you can get from 'Hobby Lobby' or 'Michaels' with of all flowers, baby's breath and they looked super beautiful.  Who knew baby's breath, a very inexpensive type flower could look so cute as a centerpiece!  Yes that idea I definitely stole. 

There was also a cute little gunny sack.  Inside a bottle of hand sanitizer with a heart on the bottle with the couples name.  Cute for sure.  My other half loves hand sanitizer.  However this was one of those other items where my friends feedback was ringing in.  "folks don't care about those things." 
And there were a lot of little gunny sacks with hand sanitizer left behind.  I grabbed a few for my honey and the sister of the groom said, "I grabbed 30.  Guess I'm set."   I laughed but it taught me that all those little details you spend so much extra on, might go to waste.   The food, the dj and good company are going to make or break ya.  A full bar with no good music might render havoc also but that's another story!

I returned to my 'Oriental Trading' catalog.  'Cute beer cozies with funny sayings. OUT.  Personalized this or that. OUT.'  and a lot was written off with exception of the two things I had to have for my wedding receptions favors.  Playing cards and pre printed stickers thanking everyone for joining in our special day to save the ink on my personal printer;) 

There is a million things you can do for your wedding depending on your budget.  If you are no holds bar, don't keep reading my blog as you do not have my budget.  If you are looking to low budget with big outcome.  Ya gotta be creative and know where your best deals are.  If you really think you want something from Oriental, sign up online for their emails as they do at least once a month have a free shipping no matter the cost option.  You can inexpensively buy whatever it is you want to see in your hands and if it will work for you.  Also read the reviews online on the items.  Some even though a great deal do not close properly.  Some are well over and above worth the deal.  I have often found that a lot of similar if not same products are found at 'Michaels', 'Hobby Lobby', and 'PartyCity'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment