Sunday, April 27, 2014

Let's Be Realistic - Pre Planning Your Reception!

There is not much you can do about the food as either the caterer is going to be fabulous or anywhere under that level. 

Your DJ however should have a good reputation.  And there are so many out there.  It is a given that your DJ can make or break your reception and you want to choose one that really knows how to read the crowd and take control of all the events.  Father, Daughter - Son Mother dances.  Toasts.  Champagne toast and anything else you want him to do.  I believe I got lucky as utilizing a guy who has been doing his thing for 30 years with a great reputation.  So I have yet to see but less worried about him than I am about the food. 

In a prior post I spoke of how I learned of what matters and what might not matter.  Wasted money on some pre printed items and décor.  Some ideas that I rid of because will save me time and probably money.

1.  Name placards:  Although initially they might be great and maybe some folks will actually stay at their assigned table; just by personal situation I am not sure if I have that type of disciplined crowd.  Hence I will give assigned table seating.  Which seat you take at their assigned table should be their choice reasonably.    I.e.  Although I know of two guests coming of Greece origin and thought that might be a reason to sit them at the same table, however maybe one will have a better time talking to my cousin Joe about motorcycles.  Either way there is no guarantee you will stick to the table I assign you to and why waste my time printing out all those names, and placing all those name cards.

2.  Monogrammed items:  You will discover many things out there that you can personalize with you and your loved one's names or even pictures.  Choose wisely as these are the little things that end up in the trash.

Our centerpiece vases we picked up from 'Dollar Tree'.  Estimating 15 tables we bought 15 vases and paid a total of $15.00.  We also purchased glass rocks in colors of the ocean from 'Dollar Tree'.  We picked up three large baskets of seashells from 'Hobby Lobby' at $9.99 per basket.  These should be super simple to put together.  Pick up flowers day of your venue.  Place them on the tables and all done.  Easy, budget friendly centerpieces.

Our favor bags were typical small paper bags purchased from a 'restaurant supply' store.  Yes since tis a restaurant supply store you might end up with their smallest case of 2000 bags for $17.00.  The bags were then hand stamped with various cute sayings.  The stamps I purchased from 'Michaels'  .  And you can generally go to their website and get a 40% off coupon for a shopping trip.   As for the remainder of all those small bags, well my other half has a 10 year old daughter and I'm pretty sure I'll be using the rest for lunches, school events or barbecue goodie handouts for a long time to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment