Sunday, April 27, 2014

But Wait.... There Is Still a Reception to Follow!

A common thing nowadays is the whole destination wedding, and reception later.  My other half still wanted to have a reception in my home town in Colorado.

On way back from Florida, we stopped in Colorado.  Literally got into Denver at 7pm.  Got the rental car and drove to my home town arriving about 10:30 in the evening.  My cousin had food waiting for us and of course we stayed up a bit late chatting until 2am.

My other half and I had to wake to meet my Father for breakfast around 8:30am.  Oddly enough my Father did not look to happy but congratulated us.  He went on to talk about my step Brother's business.  Something about the Government Laws and Radicalism.  And then proceeded to bring up an issue between his wife, his step daughter and I.

Now this is part of the hell of getting married and planning receptions, etc.  This is when the family of who is talking to who drama awakens and comes out of the woodwork.  This is when you could potentially start to need a therapist.  I kindly mentioned to my Father that his step daughter picked a stupid fight with me on Facebook of all places then ran away.  (Delete/Block).  His wife followed suit there after so kindly let them put on their big girl panties and address me themselves.  STAY OUT OF IT! 

We only had the one day as we would be back on the road to Denver about 1:30am that following morning to return our car and catch our 6am flight to San Francisco.  By 10am we were touring a couple of hotels for our out of town guests.  By 10:45am we were ordering our cake from the bakery, placing a deposit.   By 11:30 we were having lunch with my cousin's before a tasting at the venue.  Ok yes this does not make sense but I wanted the local chicken tacos on white more than I did to sample the kabobs for our venue. 

Our venue I chose because of the patio.  It's a lovely location with this open large patio with a historic water fountain.  Hence it had since been taken over and been a Indian Restaurant since 2011.  The only Indian restaurant within any distance from S.Colorado up to Colorado Springs.  And these guys think I am stupid.

I was originally shocked at the quote of $29.95 per person as if you know my home town, this would surely be a cost for steak, lobster and domestic caviar.  When the average ball room is not exceeding $18.00 per person, why would you think I am this stupid. 

Plus I am familiar for what I would pay for a Indian venue in the Bay Area.  Hence I gave them a much easier menu and much less than I would get if had Indian food so this is where it all begins.  At this point I had given up my ballroom and I want this patio.  I asked them to agree to $18.00 per person with 15% Gratuity because it was buffet style.  The man I was negotiating with decided to turn and ask a server in which again I hate being bold face lied to, and I know that 18% is not standard in Pueblo Colorado but at least missing taxes and no hall fees with a cash option.  It is not something would suggest that many do especially if you do not trust the venue.  But I think with this option they know and I know they are being well taken care of for their time.  Alcohol negotiation is another thing but again they were more than fair with me for one keg of beer.  I am still seeking out some wine charges from them but thing going to tap it at wine, beer and soda.  With a regular venue this would all be laid out for you in a contract.  I am taking a huge risk to save money. 

Well after trying what I sort of asked for and four additional dishes that I did not ask for but the younger brother got competitive with the older brother.  Note to venues.  Don't play games with a customer's time as it could lose you the business.  I was given four other options I did not ask for but ironically one of them my cousin and husband liked a lot.  So it was a go of a choice from each brother.   The negotiation really did not go how I wanted but at least we got a price per person settled and a price on a keg and champagne.  I must really love that damn patio!

No comments:

Post a Comment